Re: How to handle a non-compilable file.

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: How to handle a non-compilable file.
Date: 28 Apr 2002 18:45:36 -0600

>>>>> "David" == David Kirkby <address@hidden> writes:

David> 1) Without the 'EXTRA_DIST = atlc.xpm CircInRect.xpm etc', the
David> programs seem to compile proplery, taking into account any
David> changes in the .xpm files, but the .xpm files will not be
David> included if I do a 'make dist'. It seems odd that they their
David> presence is noted, but they don't get distributed.

We notice the .xpm files as dependencies because we do automatic
dependency tracking at compile time.  You don't have to tell automake
about the files included by a .c file.  (Except in some less usual
circumstances.)

However, we can't take these dependencies and put them into the
distribution.  That simply wouldn't be appropriate in the general
case.  So we leave it up to you do mark such files.

David> That below does seem to work, but is it the best way of doing
David> it ??? All the .xpm files are listed twice, which seems liable
David> to errors.

There's no point in listing the .xpm files in noinst_DATA if you're
going to list them in EXTRA_DIST.  Why did you do this?

Tom