Re: Antwort: Re: Feature request: meta files & wildcards (once again)

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: Feature request: meta files & wildcards (once again)
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 10:06:34 -0700

Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

>  Alex> Certainly would. The problem I had with suffix rules, was that one
>  Alex> invocation of the idl compiler on one .idl file expands into many .h
> and
>  Alex> .cpp files, therefore I needed a suffix rule for each product.

The only straight forward solution I've found is to
have stamp file dependencies:

  GEN_LIST = foo.h bar.h baz.h
  $(GEN_LIST) : gen-stamp
  gen-stamp : <predecessor-list>
        <generator-command> && touch $@

Despite the fact that multiple file output is my specialty
(as some will attest ;-), I haven't found special purpose
rules to be an inconvenience.  i.e., I don't miss suffix rules
for this purpose.  This also solves the parallelism problem.