Re: monolithic Makefile.am

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: monolithic Makefile.am
Date: 11 May 2002 17:14:49 -0600

Rob> I hacked up an import command. It was simply a variant on include, that
Rob> appended the include prefix to any relative paths. It worked so-so, but
Rob> I didn't have time to make it work well enough to submit it. Anyway, for
Rob> someone who actually understands automakes innards, it should be pretty
Rob> simple: refactor the standard include to perform canonicalisation with a
Rob> handed-in prefix, and then for normal include statements, use no prefix,
Rob> for imports use the path to the importee as the prefix. I don't have the
Rob> code around now, but IIRC I sent a proof-of-concept patch to the list.

I looked at this.  I think it is missing one of the major features I'd
like out from `import', namely the ability to have targets like
`subdir/clean' and `subdir/all'.

I think doing this requires the bulk of the work, since it means a lot
of code generation changes in automake.  I'd be delighted to be proven
wrong :-)

Tom