Re: how to override AUTOMAKE = ... in Makefile

From: Richard Boulton
Subject: Re: how to override AUTOMAKE = ... in Makefile
Date: 27 May 2002 16:34:08 +0100

On Mon, 2002-05-27 at 12:40, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Now that Red Hat 7.3 has an automake-1.5 binary and a regular automake
> binary, I provided options to autogen.sh to specify a different automake
> binary.  It does this perfectly, uses it for autogenning, and also
> automatically picks up aclocal-1.5
>
> Now, what happens is that when you touch a Makefile.am in a directory, it
> will regenerate the Makefile because of the
>
> AUTOMAKE = (path)/missing --run automake
>
> Only of course it then uses automake 1.4

This appears to work correctly with automake 1.6.1a (current CVS 1.6
branch). (and autoconf 2.53, if that's relevant).  I'm not sure when the
fix went in.

> I would like to know what is the best way to override this so that it also
> uses automake-1.5.
>
> Any suggestions ?

Apart from requiring 1.6.1, you could try putting some kind of hack into
configure.ac.  Perhaps autogen.sh could pass an value to configure.ac if
the automake program isn't called "automake", and the automake version
is less than 1.6, and then that value could be used to set AUTOMAKE.
If you do this after AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE, it will probably work correctly.

--
Richard