Re: automake 1.6.2 - some problems

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: automake 1.6.2 - some problems
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:50:57 +0200

Hi Patrik,

>>> "Patrik" == Patrik Weiskircher <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Patrik> In the configure.in file, I AC_SUBST the var. PLUGINDIR.

 Patrik> It contains just "$libdir/programname".

 Patrik> Now i got some plugins, where i wish that automake
 Patrik> installs them into PLUGINDIR.  In the first plugin,
 Patrik> lets call it stdout, I wrote this line into the
 Patrik> Makefile.am:

 Patrik> libdir = $(PLUGINDIR)
 Patrik> Everything works fine.
 Patrik> No problems at all. The lib goes into $prefix/lib/programname.

This seems a bit convolued to me.  I suggest you

  1. don't AC_SUBST(PLUGINDIR) from configure.ac

  2. don't override libdir in Makefile.am

  3. use something like this in Makefile.am:

       plugindir = $(libdir)/programname
       plugin_LTLIBRARIES = stdout.la ...

Actually, it can be simplier to use pkglibdir
(automatically defined to `$(libdir)/$(PACKAGE)'):

       pkglib_LTLIBRARIES = stdout.la ...

 Patrik> Then, the second plugin.
 Patrik> I copied the Makefile.am. Just changed the source files.
 Patrik> This time, the library goes into $prefix/lib.
 Patrik> I inspected the Makefile.in and the Makefile itself.

 Patrik> It does this:
 Patrik> Makefile.in:
 Patrik> @address@hidden = $(LIBDIR)/programname
 Patrik> libdir = @libdir@

I'm confused, are you showing the line from *each* Makefile.in
or from only one?  In the latter case, that's clearly an Automake bug.

[...]

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz