Re: auto-regenerating Makefile.in and Makefile files

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: auto-regenerating Makefile.in and Makefile files
Date: 03 Jul 2002 16:24:22 +0200

Am Mit, 2002-07-03 um 14.58 schrieb Schleicher Ralph (LLI):
> Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Am Mit, 2002-07-03 um 09.44 schrieb Ionutz Borcoman:
> > > Or is there a simple command to do this (but keeping all the options
> > > I've give to configure) ?
> > "make"
>
> Wrong answer.  Read the question more carefully.

Nope. The original question was:

> Is there any way to set the autotools or something else to regenerate
> Makefile.in and Makefile files if I change the Makefile.am ? Or is
> there a simple command to do this (but keeping all the options I've
> give to configure) ?

Automake generated Makefiles automatically take care about this (Editing
_Makefile.ams_).

So, given a package with functional auto*tools based configuration, all
you need to do is to once configure your build-tree and to run "make".
Automake then will update all auto*-generated files it finds necessary
to be updated and will keep the configuration options previously having
been used.

This works perfectly well unless the structure of the configured
source-tree changes (adding/removing Makefile.ams) or if the source-tree
contains conditionally configured sub-directories (eg. CONFIG_SUBDIRS
which get condistionally excluded/included from building).
In this case you would have to bootstrap the auto*-generated files anew
(eg. to run autoreconf, delete your build-tree and to run configure
again.)

> To the Automake maintainers: please device a way for adding user-defined
> configure options to configure when re-running configure (e.g., grep the
> configure command line from config.log).
Ernie answered this one ;)