Re: Generating HeaderFiles

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: Generating HeaderFiles
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 10:07:44 -0700

Tom Tromey wrote:

> What version of automake are you using?  With older versions,
> BUILT_SOURCES didn't work very well.  In fact, it failed in the way
> you describe: a built source would be rebuilt even when doing `make
> clean'.  That's fixed in 1.5 (and 1.6).
>
> If you are using 1.[56] and still have problems, please provide more
> details.

That's the problem with moving targets.  Knowledge is always out
of date.  As you know, I've been an automake customer for 4 or 5 years.
I confess I don't go back and recheck "is it working now" once
I have something working.  I've moved on.  If you have any recommendations
for autogen/doc/Makefile.am, I would cheerily be rid of some of that
uglitude.  But my fear of pain won't allow me to go in and
clean up something that hobbles okay.  :-)  It was too hard
to get it and keep it working.  Er, hobbling.