Re: auto-regenerating Makefile.in and Makefile files

From: rich-paul
Subject: Re: auto-regenerating Makefile.in and Makefile files
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 02:14:12 -0400

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 08:49:01AM +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:

> Akim> BTW, Automake still does not take full advantage of the current
> Akim> config.status.  It could perfectly well have foo/Makefile have a
> Akim> trampoline to top_builddir/Makefile which would recreate all the
> Akim> obsolete Makefile (and config.h etc.) at once:
>
> Tom> How do we know which ones are out of date?
>
> I was thinking about using Make.  It does have a macro that returns
> the list of dependencies that are out of date, doesn't it?
>
> Tom> We could just always run `./config.status' and rebuild
> Tom> everything.  We've always avoided that on performance and
> Tom> historical grounds.
>
> We can add --update to config.status, so that it only recreates its
> obsolete offsprings.  Would that help Automake?

This solution would depend on using gnu make, but that's probably a safe
assumption for people who have the auto-tools installed:

How about a GNUmakefile that regenerates everything up to and including
Makefile, and then includes Makefile?  I've had pretty good luck with a
similar approach.

--
Got freedom?  Vote Libertarian:  http://www.lp.org