Re: AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external]) broken

From: Charles Wilson
Subject: Re: AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external]) broken
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:44:37 -0400

Bruno Haible wrote:

gettext.m4 doesn't set BUILD_INCLUDED_GETTEXT or
USE_INCLUDED_GETTEXT (to 'no') when 'external' is specified; the
variables are left unspec'ed. **probably** not a problem -- unless
you gettextize in order to work around the automake bug, like I did
<g> -- in which case your project's build will fail trying to make
'address@hidden@' in the "unused" intl/ directory...

You should use the 'external' flag if and only if you don't have the
intl directory in the package. If you call gettextize with --intl,
then you need to remove the 'external' flag at the same time.

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this"  "Don't do that"

Okay.

I only added the intl/ directory because there is an overzealous check in automake itself:

sub handle_gettext
{
    return if ! $seen_gettext || $relative_dir ne '.';

    if (! variable_defined ('SUBDIRS'))
    {
        conf_error ("AM_GNU_GETTEXT used but SUBDIRS not defined");
        return;
    }

    my @subdirs = &variable_value_as_list_recursive ('SUBDIRS', 'all');
    macro_error ('SUBDIRS',
                 "AM_GNU_GETTEXT used but `po' not in SUBDIRS")
        if ! grep ('po', @subdirs);
    macro_error ('SUBDIRS',
                 "AM_GNU_GETTEXT used but `intl' not in SUBDIRS")
        if ! grep ('intl', @subdirs);

    require_file ($ac_gettext_location, GNU, 'ABOUT-NLS');
}

I've already reported it to them; I think they are going to conditionalize this on !external. Anyway, to work around the automake bug, I gettextized -- but kept the externnal...leading to "Doctor, it hurts..."

Thanks for the clarification.

--Chuck