Re: Alternate automake output?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Alternate automake output?
Date: 24 Jul 2002 00:08:34 -0600

>>>>> "William" == William Robertson <address@hidden> writes:

William> So, they each have their own autoconf setup, the top-level
William> configure.in uses AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS and some conditional
William> logic, and everything is good.

Ok.

William> Good, except that configuration runs are abysmally slow.

Have you enabled caching?  That is the first thing I'd try.  It will
help but won't solve the problem; each configure script has a certain
amount of unavoidable overhead; your particular configuration
multiplies this overhead by the number of modules.

William> The sticking point is getting automake, when run from the top
William> level, to generate something other than a Makefile.in in each
William> module directory, so the module's local Makefile.in doesn't
William> get clobbered.

Just when you think you've heard it all... :-)

William> I know this is a hack, but could automake play along with
William> this, and would this work?  Alternatively, is there a cleaner
William> way to achieve this goal?

Well, you could try it.  One horrible thought I had is that you could
AC_SUBST(AM_MAKEFLAGS) in configure, and set AM_MAKEFLAGS to something
like `-f OtherMakefileName'.  I don't know if this will work; you
could give it a try.

Tom