Beginner: a simple question about shared libraries

From: Ladislav Strojil
Subject: Beginner: a simple question about shared libraries
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:40:45 +0200

Hi,

I am sorry to ask such a simple questions but I am really lost here.

I am trying to move our school project to automake.

I have succeeded building programs, but I am stuck with .so files.

Currently (with a hand written Makefile) it works like this:
a bunch of .o files is build from .cpp and .cc files
these are linked by
g++ --shared ...
into one .so file.

I need to replace this with some automake magic.
I have read several tutorials on this but this can't get it working.

Currently my Makefile.am looks like this:
AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = foreign
lib_LTLIBRARIES = libadmis.la

DBFILES = db/commandrs.cpp db/errorrs.cpp db/internalrs.cpp db/utils.cpp
HTMLFILES = html/urlhandler.cpp html/title.cpp
STRINGFILES = str/buffer.cpp str/string.cpp str/xml.cpp str/eval.cpp
SYSTEMFILES = system/config.cpp system/plugin.cpp system/log.cpp
ORBFILES = skeletons/admisSK.cc skeletons/admisDynSK.cc \
                skeletons/htmlSK.cc skeletons/htmlDynSK.cc \
                skeletons/securitySK.cc skeletons/securityDynSK.cc \
                skeletons/dataSK.cc skeletons/dataDynSK.cc \
                skeletons/logSK.cc skeletons/logDynSK.cc

libadmis_la_SOURCES = $(ORBFILES) $(DBFILES) $(HTMLFILES) $(STRINGFILES)
$(SYSTEMFILES)

libadmis_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 0:0:0

LDADD = -lomniORB4 -lomniDynamic4 -ladmis

skeletons/%SK.cc : $(top_srcdir)/../idl/%.idl
        omniidl -bcxx -Wba -C skeletons $<

The last target is need to create files listed in ORBFILES (some CORBA stuff).
When I do "make" I get a bunch of warnings:
Makefile:723: warning: overriding commands for target `admisSK.o'
Makefile:290: warning: ignoring old commands for target `admisSK.o'
Makefile:729: warning: overriding commands for target `admisSK.obj'
Makefile:296: warning: ignoring old commands for target `admisSK.obj'
Makefile:735: warning: overriding commands for target `admisSK.lo'
Makefile:302: warning: ignoring old commands for target `admisSK.lo'

For each file from the list there are six warnings like these...

What am I doing wrong?
What it the simplest way to build .so file?

Any pointers, examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Lada

- --
    ~       Ladislav Strojil, MFF UK