Re: slow makefiles are getting even slower

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: slow makefiles are getting even slower
Date: 14 Aug 2002 17:56:26 -0600

>>>>> "Zdenek" == Zdenek Kabelac <address@hidden> writes:

Zdenek> Am I the only one who is noticing constant slowdown of
Zdenek> makefile.am processing

Do you mean running automake or running make?

Zdenek> I'm really starting to thing about throwing whole auto* stuff
Zdenek> away.

Yes.

Zdenek> it's really getting crazy - 9MB just for Makefiles...

That is a bit absurd, though of course it depends on the layout and
complexity of your project.

Zdenek> Is there anyone in the auto* team who really cares about
Zdenek> the speed and to whom I could write my complains and ideas
Zdenek> who to get auto* in shape back again...

I'd say that we care, but we just haven't prioritized it very highly.
My perception is that the complaints we see are about not having a
smooth upgrade path, followed by feature requests.  I haven't tried to
actually measure that perception against reality.  Also there are
always complaints about the complexity of the system, which are
justified but hard to derive patches from.

Tom