Problems defining Makefile.am trying to cross-compile for VxWorks on cyg

From: Niklaus Giger
Subject: Problems defining Makefile.am trying to cross-compile for VxWorks on cygwin
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 17:12:39 +0200

Hi

I am trying to setup a simple example Makefile.am for crosscompiling,
which
is based on the example calc of the DejaGnu example.

Makefile.am looks like the following:

AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = dejagnu
bin_PROGRAMS = calc.o
calc_SOURCES = calc.c

RUNTESTDEFAULTFLAGS = --tool calc CALC=`pwd`/calc --srcdir ./testsuite

After calling automake running configure gives me the following error:
$ ./configure --host=ppc-wrs --target=ppc-wrs CC=ccppc
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use
--host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be
used.
checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking host system type... powerpc-wrs-vxworks
checking target system type... powerpc-wrs-vxworks
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for ppc-wrs-gcc... ccppc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
cannot create executables

I set CC to ccppc as we are using vxWorks 5.3 (Tornado 1.0.1) which
uses gcc version cygnus-2.7.2-960126.
The cross compiler will never create an executable as vxWorks loads *.o
files.

I tested that with renaming the function "main" to "calc" and passing
some more flags to ccppc I am
able compile, load and execute a calc.o file.

How can I avoid the error "C compiler cannot create executables". The
config.log looks like:

configure:1898: checking for C compiler version
configure:1901: ccppc --version </dev/null >&5
cygnus-2.7.2-960126
configure:1904: $? = 0
configure:1906: ccppc -v </dev/null >&5
gcc version cygnus-2.7.2-960126
configure:1909: $? = 0
configure:1911: ccppc -V </dev/null >&5
ccppc.exe: argument to `-V' is missing
configure:1914: $? = 1
configure:1940: checking for C compiler default output
configure:1943: ccppc    conftest.c  >&5
cpp: -lang-c: linker input file unused since linking not done

abnormal program termination
configure:1946: $? = 3
configure: failed program was:
#line 1917 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

#ifdef F77_DUMMY_MAIN
#  ifdef __cplusplus
     extern "C"
#  endif
   int F77_DUMMY_MAIN() { return 1; }
#endif
int
main ()
{

  ;
  return 0;
}
configure:1973: error: C compiler cannot create executables

Any hints appreciated.

Niklaus Giger
Netstal Maschinen AG
CH-8752 Naefels