Re: Q: Change from 1.4 to 1.5 of `include' or `:=' interpretation??

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Q: Change from 1.4 to 1.5 of `include' or `:=' interpretation??
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 10:28:21 +0200

>>> "David" == David Petrou <address@hidden> writes:

 David> Hi.  I have a project (collection of configure.in, Makefile.am's,
 David> etc.) that automake 1.4 worked fine on.  But when I try automake 1.5 I
 David> get all sorts of errors.  To me, it looks like the behavior of
 David> `include' might have changed,

I don't think so, it's just that Automake has become more picky
about variable assignments.  Apparently it will detect recursive
variable assignment, even for `:='-style assignments (sounds
like a wart to me).

Anyway, `:=' is not portable (it's not defined by POSIX, and for
instance in OSF make it means something completely different),
so you'd better avoid it if portability matters.

A possible rewrite of

  FOO = @FOO@
  if COND
    FOO := $(FOO) bar
  endif

is

  if COND
    FOO_COND = bar
  endif
  FOO = @FOO@ $(FOO_COND)

[...]

 David> automake: configure.in: required file `./depcomp' not found

Run `automake --add-missing' to fix this.

 David> /usr/local/share/automake/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not
 David> appear in AM_CONDITIONAL

Usually solved by running `aclocal', and better diagnosed by
Automake 1.6.3 (may I suggest upgrading?).

[...]

 David> So, you can see that what I'm trying to do is use $host_os to set
 David> PDL_*.  Then I use this information to later set various compile
 David> options (LDFLAGS, etc.).

IMHO these flags would be better set from configure, but that's
another story.

[...]

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz