Re: autoreconf misses ltmain.sh

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: autoreconf misses ltmain.sh
Date: 24 Sep 2002 13:33:43 +0200

http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/libtool-patches/2002-January/001659.html

| >  Ralf> .. which seems to indicate that libtool is the culprit.
| >  Ralf> => There doesn't exist any officially released version of libtool
that
| >  Ralf> is usable with autoconf-2.54 and automake-1.7
| >
| > Not exactly: there is no release of Libtool that honors
| > AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR in configure.*ac*.
| >
| >  Ralf> .. still nobody wanting to care to fix it?
| >
| > AFAICT it's fixed in CVS Libtool.
|
| We are talking about released SW rsp. to be released SW here.
|
| The current situation is: libtool and autoreconf do not interact
| together, rendering autoreconf entirely useless and unreliable in total
| in many situations, no matter if libtool is the culprit or not.
|
| Pointing users to cvs versions is acceptable as long a tool is in
| development, however once a tool is release, this situation changes.
| Read: Users will yell at autoconf, because _it_ can't deal with released
| versions of libtool.
|
| In my opinion it is prohibitive and stupid not to have a libtool release
| that can properly interact with autoconf.

This is my opinion too, and I have regularly sent messages to the
Libtool lists, but without affect.  They are still in CC of these
messages, but without any answer.

So as was kindly suggested by TED, we should have autoreconf work
around Libtool problems.  I have not read all the details yet, but
does anybody know what we must do to cope with Libtool 1.4.2?  Or,
does anybody know when another Libtool will be released?