Re: FYI: same library installed several times in same directory (PR/350)

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: FYI: same library installed several times in same directory (PR/350)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:41:13 +0200

>>> "Harlan" == Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> writes:

 Harlan> Just to ask, what is the problem if the same library is
 Harlan> installed in two different places?

 >> Automake produces only one rule to link the library, and
 >> therefore doesn't know how to set `-rpath' correctly.  See
 >> PR/285.

 Harlan> So what is the problem with:

 Harlan> if COND1
 Harlan> lib_LTLIBRARIES = liba.la
 Harlan> else
 Harlan> if COND2
 Harlan> pkglib_LTLIBRARIES = liba.la
 Harlan> endif
 Harlan> endif

Sorry I didn't answered that explicitly: that's exactly the same
problem.

Fundamentally there is nothing wrong with either constructs.
The issue is technical: Automake produces only one link rule,
and this rule needs to know the directory where the library will
be installed.

PR/285 suggest a fix which should be fairly easy to do; but I
don't have the time to work on Automake these days.

 Harlan> I'd hate to have to hack around this problem using
 Harlan> something like:
[...]
 Harlan> (assuming I can get this hack to work).

I don't know, sorry.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz