Library creation command

From: Matthias Dietrich
Subject: Library creation command
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:17:10 +0200

Hello,

I am currently working on a software project where we need
to compile the same software for at least 3 different hosts
(different means they have CPUs from 3 different families).
Due to good previous experiences with autoconf/automake in
developing software for multiple systems, we decided to
"autoconfiscate" our software.

Unfortunately we run into a big problem. Automake assumes
that a library is built by calling "ar cru" and at least
one of our machine has a toolset where "ar" is not
available. We have another tool to build a library, it's not
called "ar" and it doesn't take "cru" as arguments.

Just to give you a little more information: this machine is
an embedded system on which we cannot run the compiler,
linker, etc. We need to cross compile from another workstation.
On this workstation a local "ar" is available but it breaks
the object files for our embedded system. So I really need to
use the platform-specific tool to build libraries.

I found that replacing "ar" is possible by inserting
AC_SUBST(AR) into the configure.in file and then setting
AR to my tool. But the "cru" parameters seem to be hardcoded
into automake.

So my question is the following: would it be possible to
have some kind of AR_FLAG variable, which would be set to
"cru" by default but could be overriden by users ?
Ideally if I could control AR and AR_FLAG I would be able to
deal with all toolsets.

Regards,

Matthias

Matthias Dietrich          E-mail : address@hidden

ST Microelectronics        Phone  : +33 4 76 58 67 61
AST Grenoble Lab           Fax    : +33 4 76 58 56 60

12, Rue Jules Horowitz     BP 217   F-38019 GRENOBLE Cedex