Re: basic help for bare-boned newbie

From: Peter Jay Salzman
Subject: Re: basic help for bare-boned newbie
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 08:37:26 -0700

begin Akim Demaille <address@hidden>

> | hi akim,
> | first, thank you for responding!
> |
> | i finally did find out what was wrong: autoconf 2.5x and 2.13 debian
> | packages were both installed on my system.  the *packages* don't
> | conflict but the programs do.  inadvertantly, some of what i did used
> | the 2.5 tools and some used the 2.13 tools.
>
> Arg...  I'm applying the following patch.  It should help avoiding
> such pitfalls, plus anyway it is better this way.

that's pretty cool my question resulted in a patch.   :)

> | - Macro: AC_PROG_INSTALL
> |
> |      Set output variable `INSTALL' to the path of a BSD compatible
> |      `install' program, if one is found in the current `PATH'.
> |      Otherwise, set `INSTALL' to `DIR/install-sh -c', checking the
> |      directories specified to `AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR'
> |
> | the info page also says that AC_PROG_INSTALL filters out "install"
> | implementations that are known to be buggy, but i doubt GNU install is
> | buggy.
> |
> | i was able to get configure to complete successfully by commenting out
> | AC_PROG_INSTALL in configure.in, but that's a bandaid fix.   how can i
> | get configure to recognize /usr/bin/install?
>
> That's not the problem.  Autoconf *wants* to have the script named
> install-sh in the top level (or AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR).  Because *your*
> machine is not what matters: the machines of other people are
> Autoconf's targets.

ok.  i guess i was thinking that autoconf would search for system wide
GNU install before it searches for a local install program.

i found a copy of the autoconf/automake/libtool book online, started to
read it.  reading stuff online is always a drag so i just bought a copy
of the book.  a bit longer than i wanted, but MUCH easier than trying to
learn from the info pages.

thanks!  :)

pete