Newbie Questions

From: miki . shapiro
Subject: Newbie Questions
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:38:35 +0200

Hi all

I just became maintainer of a rather large-scale cross-platform project.
Our configure/makefiles are written somewhat awkwardly and
self-implemented, and after some deliberation and study, We decided to port
to autoconf/automake.

1. I am currently experimenting on a stock x86 RH7.2, and replaced the
default automake/autoconf with automake 1.7 and autoconf 2.54 (moving the
old /usr/bin/autostuff and /usr/share/automake/ out of the way while at
it).

2. When doing tests on a hello-world project, I run into some warning
message:
== snip
Use of uninitialized value in split at /usr/bin/automake line 5044, <GEN0>
line 87.
== end snip

urp?!

my Makefile.am script looks like:
=== start snip ==
noinst_PROGRAMS = hello
hello_SOURCES = hello.c
=== end snip ==

and my configure.in looks like:
=== start snip ==
# Process this file with autoconf to produce a configure script.
AC_INIT(hello, 1.0, address@hidden)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([hello.c])
AC_CONFIG_HEADER([config.h])

# Checks for programs.
AC_PROG_CXX
AC_PROG_CC

# Checks for libraries.

# Checks for header files.

# Checks for typedefs, structures, and compiler characteristics.

# Checks for library functions.

AC_CONFIG_FILES([])
AC_OUTPUT(Makefile)
=== end snip ==

3. I get a Makefile, run make and get:

== start snippet ==
10:23|[Natasha] mikisu:~/testdir#make
make  all-am
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mikis/testdir'
if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.     -g -O2 -MT hello.o -MD -MP -MF
".deps/hello.Tpo" \
  -c -o hello.o `test -f 'hello.c' || echo './'`hello.c; \
then mv ".deps/hello.Tpo" ".deps/hello.Po"; \
else rm -f ".deps/hello.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi
gcc  -g -O2   -o hello  hello.o
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mikis/testdir'
== end snippet ==

What's with the
"if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.     -g -O2 -MT hello.o -MD -MP -MF
".deps/hello.Tpo" \
  -c -o hello.o `test -f 'hello.c' || echo './'`hello.c; \
then mv ".deps/hello.Tpo" ".deps/hello.Po"; \
else rm -f ".deps/hello.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi"

section? Do I want it soiling our dev team's screens? I've never seen it on
GNU sw projects..
.. and I can't for the life of me figure out any defines/macros/whatevers
in there. If this is relevant to me
as a package maintainer, are there FM's to RT? If not, how do I ask make to
hide it?

4. Can someone explain what aclocal is? (or tell me what to go read? :-)

5. 4. Is there any good automake+autoconf tutorial other than

http://www.gnu.org/manual/automake/text/automake.txt

?

That aside, I would really love an A->Z walkthrough to RTFM - of putting a
package together, of what I need to package with my tarball (assuming not
all systems I deploy to have BSD install scripts and such), in short -
comprehensive packaging-oriented (and not automake-oriented) docs?

Thanks!

--
Miki Shapiro <address@hidden>
Coder - Unixophile - Boarder - Quake God

The content of this email and any attachments are confidential and intended
for the named recipient(s) only.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately.
Do not disclose the content of this message or make copies.

This email was scanned by eSafe Mail for viruses, vandals  and other
malicious content.