Re: weird flags set by configure

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: weird flags set by configure
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 09:48:20 -0700

address@hidden <address@hidden> [2002-11-04 12:43:48 +0200]:
> Small question:
>
> Why do my autoconf-generated configure scripts automatically fit in
> debugging info "-g -O2" (or -g if I ask nicely?)
> When I compile release versions of my code, how do I (elegantly) ask
> automake, or rather autoconf (through autoconf.in) to omit this from
> CXXFLAGS?

GCC is viewed as being able to debug (-g) and optimize (-O2) at the
same time without any detriment.  Then if you want to strip the binary
to remove the debug information you can.  The make target to install
and strip is 'install-strip'.  Therefore the default is generally
good.

If the compiler is not GCC then it only adds debugging (-g) and stops
there since most compilers can't do both at the same time.

If you want to change this you can set CXXFLAGS at configure time.

  CFLAGS=-O CXXFLAGS=-O ./configure

> The content of this email and any attachments are confidential and
>
> If you have received this email in error please notify the sender
> immediately.
> Do not disclose the content of this message or make copies.
>
> This email was scanned by eSafe Mail for viruses, vandals  and other
> malicious content.

Those quasi-legal scare footers are both worthless and annoying.
Please try to convince your company to remove them.  Alternately send
mail from other accounts which do not have them.

Bob