Specifying include directories for groups of source files

From: William S Fulton
Subject: Specifying include directories for groups of source files
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 19:35:50 +0000

A question about groups of files in subdirectories. I would like Automake's generated Makefiles to compile groups of files using different include directories, that is, different INCLUDES (AM_CFLAGS) for each group. Each group is in a different subdirectory. Is this possible without using the _LIBRARIES or _LTLIBRARIES primary?

Motivation: We don't want to use libtool and having a separate Makefile.am each with its own _LIBRARIES does not work on all platforms, notably using native Windows compilers. This is what I have at the moment, but it uses the same INCLUDES for all groups:

# Makefile.am
INCLUDES = -I$(top_srcdir)/Group1/Include -I$(top_srcdir)/Group2
group1 = Group1/file1.c Group1/file2.c
group2 = Group2/fileA.c Group2/fileB.c
bin_PROGRAMS =  myprog
myprog_SOURCES = $(group1) $(group2)