Absolute directories for tests.

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Absolute directories for tests.
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 07:50:26 +0000

I have some tests listed in the 'tests' directory. These reference
files in other directories. One such test is:

#!/bin/sh
# There should be a bitmap included in the distribution
# in the 'examples' directory called 'file cop1.bmp'
# The checksum of this will be checked.
CKSUM=`../tools/src/mycksum      ../examples/cop1.bmp`
if [ $CKSUM = 38436 ]; then
  echo "PASSED:" $0 >> tests.log
  exit 0
else
  echo "FAILED:" $0  >> tests.log
  exit 1
fi

The problem is that if run from the 'tests' directory, this runs okay,
as the paths given in the test '../tools/src/mycksum' and
'../examples/cop1.bmp' are correct relative to that 'tests' directory.
However, if 'make distcheck' is run from the top directory of the
package, the tests fails as those paths are wrong.

Am I doing something fundamentally flawed? If not, is there a way of
referring to the top level directory, so that for example $TOP/tests
and $TOP/examples always point to the same directory, no matter where
they are run from?

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Senior Research Fellow,