Re: Bug byte-compiling lisp, automake 1.7.2

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Bug byte-compiling lisp, automake 1.7.2
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 14:46:34 +0100

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your report and the patch.

>>> "Ryan" == Ryan T Sammartino <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Ryan> doxymacs.el requires xml-parse.el.  Unfortunately the
 Ryan> rule that automake generates:
[...]
 Ryan> byte compiles each file one at a time, whereas elisp-comp
 Ryan> is expecting ALL .el files to be passed in.  Thus I get

 Ryan> While compiling toplevel forms in file
 Ryan> /home/ryants/projects/doxymacs/lisp/elc.14611/doxymacs.el:
 Ryan> !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "xml-parse"))
 Ryan> Done

[...]

 Ryan> +2003-01-05  Ryan T. Sammartino  <address@hidden>
 Ryan> +
 Ryan> +        * lib/elisp-comp: add .. to load-path.
 Ryan> +

As far as I can tell the other sources files are not necessarily
in `..'.  For instance during a VPATH-build we'd have to search
them in `../$srcdir' (in case `$srcdir' is a relative path) or
in `$srcdir' (if it's absolute).  Elisp files could also comes
from subdirectories.

I see this issue was already reported in 2000, without answers.
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2000-05/msg00016.html

Wouldn't it be better to teach Automake to byte-compile all
files at once rather than one at a time?  I'm willing to do this
if people agree.  My impression is that the reason why Automake
byte-compile files one at a time is that it's easier to write
Makefile rules this way.  (Make's semantics make it tricky to
write rules with multiple outputs.)

[...]
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz