Re: -rm -f core.$pid

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: -rm -f core.$pid
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 10:40:28 -0800

Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

> What do people thinks about Automake's removal of core dumps?
>
> I tend to think it's a misfeature.

Only 'cuz it's implemented for the wrong target.

> For one thing, this doesn't match the documentation.
> Quizz: which of the following targets do you think
> Automake is using to clear `core' files?
>
> |  * If `make' built it, and it is commonly something that one would
> |    want to rebuild (for instance, a `.o' file), then `mostlyclean'
> |    should delete it.
> |
> |  * Otherwise, if `make' built it, then `clean' should delete it.
> |
> |  * If `configure' built it, then `distclean' should delete it
> |
> |  * If the maintainer built it, then `maintainer-clean' should delete
> |    it.

Since none of these steps intentionally caused its creation,
it cannot directly follow such a policy.  So, it would seem
to me reasonable to pick one and:

> Nhgbznxr pyrnaf pber svyrf qhevat va gur zbfgylpyrna gnetrg.

This is the wrong answer.  I would say, "make clobber", but
GNU didn't choose to use that long standing name, so there's
"make distclean" that is a close parallel.  Something should
do it without it being too easy to "accidentally" remove evidence
of failures.

Cheers - Bruce