Stupid problem: how to specify the directory for .h files?

From: Jean-Guillaume Paradis (LMC)
Subject: Stupid problem: how to specify the directory for .h files?
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:25:20 -0500

Hi all,

    For my project, I want to place the source files in a src directory
and the .h files in an include directory, but I can't get it to work. My
entire project now compiles using automake, I did a distribution, there
is only this little thing left to fix :)

    So, in the Makefile.am of the src dir, I put something like:

----------------------

INCLUDES = $(PROJECT_ROOT_DIR)/include -I$(XERCES_DIR)/include ....

bin_PROGRAMS = dsiSecManager
dsiSecManager_SOURCES = dsiSMAlarmSubscriber.cpp
dsiSMWarningSubscriber.cpp \
dsiSMServiceSubscriber.cpp  dsiSMParseHandlers.cpp
dsiSMDSPSubscriber.cpp dsiSecManager.cpp

dsiSecManager_LDFLAGS = $(LDFLAGS) -L$(DSI_ROOT_DIR)/bin
-L$(XERCES_DIR)/lib
dsiSecManager_LDADD = $(SM_OBJS)  $(COS_OBJS) -lxerces-c -lPL -lc
$(LIBS)

#rule to compile the .o files

%.o:  %.cpp %.h
        $(CC) $(DEFINED) -c $(INCLUDES)  $< -o $@

----------------------
so of course my sources are in $(PROJECT_ROOT_DIR)/src

Yes despite this, IF the .h files are not in the src dir, automake
doesn't follow the rules I wrote for the .o files and doesn't compile
with the $(DEFINED) flags, making it eventually crash.

I tried several things, for example

dsiSecManager_SOURCES = file1.cpp .$(PROJECT_ROOT_DIR)/include/file1.h
..

but it doesn't work.

I must be doing something stupid! Any ideas?

Jean-Guillaume Paradis