Re: aclocal: adding user-home parts to aclocal(/automake) ?

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: aclocal: adding user-home parts to aclocal(/automake) ?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:36:47 +0100

Hi Guido!

>>> "gd" == Guido Draheim <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 gd> there is no way that a path can be added - the aclocal 1.7
 gd> does read $datadir/aclocal/dirlist but that one is a
 gd> sysadmin file as well, not a user-home related file.

One workaround is to install aclocal in your account, among the
many other packages you already have.  This way you control your
dirlist, and can even point to the system's aclocal directory.

There is little interest in working on aclocal these days.
First, the plan is to have aclocal replaced by an equivalant
Autoconf feature.  So the less features we put in aclocal, the
easier the transition will be.  Second, using aclocal to fetch
macros outside the source tree is considered bad style (that's
one reason for getting rid of aclocal).  So I'd rather consider
the inconvenience you mention as an invitation to use an m4/
directory in your project.

[...]

 gd> It happens that there is no AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS environment
 gd> variable either to add default-options.

Default options are better set in a Makefile.  (I've got your
point with -I, but I'm answering the general case here.)
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz