Re: Archives and/or Java

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Archives and/or Java
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:27:10 +0100

Sorry for the delay.

>>> "Simon" == Simon Richter <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Simon> The question is basically: Should jar files be treated
 Simon> as libraries, losing the ability to stuff application
 Simon> data into them, or should they be treated as
 Simon> to-be-implemented archives, which can contain anything.
 Simon> I'd vote for the latter choice, because it doesn't add
 Simon> to the complexity of _LIBRARIES (which will eventually
 Simon> be a good thing in light of the _LTLIBRARIES merge),
 Simon> gives us an important feature (additional members in the
 Simon> jar) without being an evil hack and also gives us the
 Simon> archive feature (which isn't too important standalone).

Eiter ways, even both together, sound fine to me.  The former
seems a lot simpler to implement (*), but if you are
volunteering to implement the second...

(*) I'm assuming _LIBRARIES and _LTLIBRARIES have been merged
first.  This shouldn't be too hard to do, and actually I'd like
to do it, but it's unclear whether I'll have enought time to
commit to this before before mid-march.

[...]
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz