Re: ./Configure -> make => configure again?!?

From: Philip Willoughby
Subject: Re: ./Configure -> make => configure again?!?
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:43:39 +0000 (GMT)

Today, Jean-Guillaume Paradis (LMC) wrote:

>I have no idea what triggers this. I remember reading in the documentation
>that "Sometimes, make will run autoconf and aclocal again" or something
>similar, but I don't want this to happen!!!

In my experience, autoconf et al will only be re-run if you have changed a
Makefile.am or configure.[in|ac] file.  Are you, perhaps, using an editor
to view one of these files and then saving and exiting?  This will of
course update the timestamp on the file and cause make to think it's
dependants are out of date.

The answer in this case is, of course, to stop changing the file modify
time.

If you're on linux you probably have a command-line program called `stat'
which can tell you everything you need to know about the file modify times.
If you can find an instance where things are being re-run but haven't been
changed that's an interesting bug, but probably not a bug in automake (I'd
blame make itself).

Regards,

Philip Willoughby

Systems Programmer, Department of Computing, Imperial College, London, UK
--
echo address@hidden | tr "bizndfohces" "pwgd9ociaku"

Why reinvent the wheel? . . . . . . . . . Because we can make it rounder...