Re: make problem under freebsd

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: make problem under freebsd
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 18:28:08 +0100

Paul Smith wrote:
%% Lorenzo Bettini <address@hidden> writes:
  lb> foo.o: foo.c
  lb>         gcc -c $< -o $@

  lb> in that $< is not expanded...

  lb> is this a known bug?

Depends on what you mean by "bug".  It's not a bug in that it's expected
behavior in some versions of make that automatic variables like $< are
not available in explicit rules: they're only available in
implicit/suffix rules.

ops... I didn't know that.

It is a "bug" in that this behavior is stupid and broken.  But that's a
problem with the version of make you're using, not automake or autoconf.

indeed I never said it was a problem with automake and autoconf, but with make :-)

On Linux etc. you're using GNU make which doesn't have this problem; I
guess the BSD version of make that comes with FreeBSD etc. does.

it really does

If you are seeing this problem then it is most likely due to customized
make rules added by the package maintainer... if that's you, you should
avoid them; if it's someone else you should file a bug report about
this.

indeed I am the maintainer... the strange thing is that I have never been reported about such a problem by freebsd users.

now that I know this I'll avoid $< in explicit rules!

thanks
        Lorenzo

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD student in Computer Science                    |
|  Dip. Sistemi e Informatica, Univ. di Firenze       |
|  Tel +39 055 4796741, Fax +39 055 4796730           |
|  Florence - Italy         (Linux User # 158233)     |
|  Home Page        : http://www.lorenzobettini.it    |
|  E-Mail           : address@hidden            |
|  http://music.dsi.unifi.it         XKlaim language  |
|  http://www.lorenzobettini.it/purple    Cover Band  |