Re: ERROR: distcleancheck can only run from a VPATH build

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: ERROR: distcleancheck can only run from a VPATH build
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 19:28:20 +0100

>>> "David" == David Kirkby <address@hidden> writes:

 David> Hi,
 David> I have written a program 'atlc'
 David> http://atlc.sourceforge.net/
 David> which get distributed with a lot of .bmp example files. If I run

 David> automake ; autoconf ; configure ; make distclean ; configure ; make
 David> distcheck

 David> The 'make distcheck' always fails, with the error message:

 David> ERROR: distcleancheck can only run from a VPATH build

There is no such message in your output.  If there were, `make'
would have stopped immediately.

 David> then says:

 David> ERROR: files left in build directory after distclean:
 David> followed by a list of files.

Yes, this is an error.

 David> However, those files are in 'EXTRA_DIST' so I would have thought the
 David> fact they are distributed, automake would not try to remove them with
 David> 'make distcheck' - is that right ??

This is right.  So what's wrong here is that your *distributed* files
end up in your *build directory*.  You'll have to find out why.

There is a section about this in the manual, see
http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#FAQ

 David> I'm not 100% sure what a VPATH build is

A build performed out of the source code directory.  This
requires a make feature called VPATH to work (see `Compiling For
Multiple Architectures' in file INSTALL), hence the name.

[...]

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz