Re: Can I force 'make install' to depend on 'make test'?

From: Eric Siegerman
Subject: Re: Can I force 'make install' to depend on 'make test'?
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:56:30 -0500

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 01:30:08AM +0000, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> [Bitmaps (.bmp files) are to be generated by "make check", and then
> installed as examples by "make install"]

How big are the bitmaps?  If they're small enough, or compress
well enough, it might be reasonable to just include them in the
distribution.  That way:
  - "install" no longer needs to depend on "check"

  - The cross-compilation issue goes away

  - The test suite doesn't need to worry about md5 sums; instead
    it can directly compare the actual bitmap file with the
    expected one.  (Use "cmp" for this, as it's likely more
    portable than "diff" -- GNU diff can handle binary files just
    fine, but I don't know how well other diff's will cope.)

"md5" might not be that portable either, for that matter.  On
some systems it's called "md5sum"; other systems might not have
it at all.  But "cmp" is as sure to be there as are "cat" and
"ls".

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        address@hidden
|  |  /
A distributed system is one on which I cannot get any work done,
because a machine I have never heard of has crashed.
        - Leslie Lamport