Re: Can I force 'make install' to depend on 'make test'?

From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
Subject: Re: Can I force 'make install' to depend on 'make test'?
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:25:46 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
> > Anyways, the reason I don't think it's a good idea is that it will break
> > cross-compiling, as your test programs will probably not run on the build
> > host in that case..
> Can you suggest a better way? I'm open to suggestions, as I'm not
> convinced my current method is optimal at all. I had not even considered
> cross-compilation issues.
What I would usually do if I have data files (or source) to generate, is
do it while compiling: make a tool built with CC_FOR_BUILD and have it
create the files. In your case, if I read what I snipped below correctly,
that would basically mean building the entire project twice - which is not
a good thing.

Then again, if I get what you're doing correctly, you don't actually
*need* the files at installation - you just want to take advantage of them
being there. In such a case, I would just generate them on demand - make a
new ``make data'' target and have your program generate it if the user
asks for it, and have check depend on that target.

If, during normal operation, your programs need the files to be there,
they can always generate them on the fly (once and for all) right? (e.g.
put them in $HOME/.my_data

I also happen to agree with the other response you got: why not just
include the files?

HTH

rlc