a general question about config.h files

From: Dale E Martin
Subject: a general question about config.h files
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 11:46:11 -0500

Am I not getting some fundamental concept of the intention of config.h
files?

Here's my problem; I've got several projects that depend on each other;
several libraries that depend on each other in an orderly fashion.  All of
them are using autotools for their build systems.  One of the libraries is
"clutils", which contains utlilities the other libraries use.  As part of
"make install" clutils is installing it's generated config.h, which has
been named "clutils-config.h".  Of course, the next application, "warped",
definies it's own config.h ("warped-config.h"), and I get warnings when I
compile:
/work/dmartin/local/2.95/include/warped/warped-config.h:53: warning:
`PACKAGE_NAME' redefined
*Initialization*:1: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
/work/dmartin/local/2.95/include/warped/warped-config.h:56: warning:
`PACKAGE_STRING' redefined
*Initialization*:1: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
/work/dmartin/local/2.95/include/warped/warped-config.h:59: warning:
`PACKAGE_TARNAME' redefined
*Initialization*:1: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
/work/dmartin/local/2.95/include/warped/warped-config.h:62: warning:
`PACKAGE_VERSION' redefined
*Initialization*:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

In older versions of autotools I used to specify not to define "PACKAGE"
and "VERSION" and this problem went away.  I see no way to turn off these
symbols though, and I'm feeling like I'm missing some fundamental concept
here.

Thanks,
        Dale
--