Re: Why do I need both AC_INIT and AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE???

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Re: Why do I need both AC_INIT and AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE???
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 06:09:44 -0700 (PDT)

> Eric Siegerman wrote:
> >
> > That usage of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is deprecated.  You do need to
> > call it -- but you should be able to do so with no arguments:
> >     AC_PREREQ(2.57)
> >     AC_INIT(atlc, 4.2.12, address@hidden)
> >     AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE

How do you use a shell variable in AC_INIT?

The docs for AC_INIT say:

     It is preferable that the arguments of `AC_INIT' be static, i.e.,
     there should not be any shell computation, but they can be
     computed by M4.

And indeed:

  configure.in:5: warning: AC_INIT: not a literal: $VERSION

AC_PREREQ(2.57)
AC_INIT
MAJOR=1
MINOR=2