Re: Any tips for how do Makefile.am if LOTS of source files???

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: Any tips for how do Makefile.am if LOTS of source files???
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 21:49:59 +0200

address@hidden schrieb:
I am a beginner to Autotools.  I just successfully
used it for toy programs and am happy with it so far.

What if I wanted to use it for *real* work on a project
with say 200 source code files???

I am especially thinking of this Makefile.am line:

myprogram_SOURCES = myprogram.c myprogram.h myfunction.c ..etc.

Must I tediously list all 200 files on this line one by one??
Am I even allowed to have such a huge line in Linux???

Is this what the pros do? Is there an easier way?

PART1 = myprog1.c myprog2.c ...
PART2 = mysrc1.c mysrc2.c ...
myprogram_SOURCES = $(PART1) $(PART2)

but you will hit the wall anyway when giving that list to
the linker via the implicit shell commmandline. No real
pro would need five hundred files for a program - the
project should be broken into parts each compiled into
a library and linked late.