Re: Common to use Autotools just to avoid Makefile work even if no porta

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: Common to use Autotools just to avoid Makefile work even if no portability concerns???
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 22:02:07 +0200

address@hidden schrieb:
I need to confess a dirty little secret.

I don't really worry about running my program
on anything other than Red Hat Linux (for now).

However, I hope to never write another Makefile
again.

Is it common/OK to just use Autotools because it:

1. looks cool
2. avoids Makefile work
3. people expect it
4. Did I mention it avoids Makefile work?

Even if I don't have big portability concerns?

The autotools have their own limitations that you
will surely come across when going into that
direction.

Speaking as a wizard: you are trying to use the
autotools for a vertical application but the
autotools are designed primarily for horizontal
projects.

Some parts of the problems of vertical development
projects are currently targetted with pkg-config
helpers but in many vertical appplication development
areas you need to handle a lot more - especially
modules and plugins all around.

There are some development environments that are
better suited for inhouse realization - most of
these are commercial however, perhaps just eclipse
is big enough but I don't want to assert that since
I did not have a look at it for real.

btw, please calm down a little, you are trying
hard to be seen as a trouble maker. Just a hint.