Automake 1.7.2 & using implicit rules

From: Juraj Hercek
Subject: Automake 1.7.2 & using implicit rules
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:42:48 +0200

Hi,

I've found a problem I'm unable to solve on my own. I've read about
handling new file extensions here:
http://www.gnu.org/manual/automake-1.7.2/html_chapter/automake_18.html#SEC103
. I've created simple example to test this feature but it didn't work,
because am_amktest_OBJECTS in generated Makefile.in is empty. Can you help?

Also is there a way how to handle this case without specifying all the .c .cpp .lxx files?: 1) filemaker creates basicaly 3 files (generated1.cpp, generated2.c generated3.lxx) from one source file (source.src). I.e., I specify this cmd line in order to get .c .cpp and .lxx files: "filemaker source.src" 2) my first question is whether there is a way how to specify only source.src in Makefile.am and all generated files (.c .cpp .lxx) will be compiled and linked into program/library? 3) my second question is how to specify source files, because this doesn't work (generated am_amktest_OBJECTS in Makefile.in is empty):
MY_SOURCES = source1.src source2.src source3.src
MY_CPP_FILES = $(MY_SOURCES:%.src=%.cpp)
MY_C_FILES = $(MY_SOURCES:%.src=%.c)
MY_LEX_FILES = $(MY_SOURCES:%.src=%.lxx)
libamktest_la_SOURCES = $(MY_CPP_FILES) $(MY_C_FILES) $(MY_LEX_FILES)

I've attached files used in my tests regarding handling new file extensions.

Thanks for reply.

Best Regards,
Juraj Hercek
AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = foreign

%.cpp:  %.g
        @echo "Ok, it works"
        touch $@

bin_PROGRAMS = amktest

amktest_SOURCES = myfile.g

#                                               -*- Autoconf -*-
# Process this file with autoconf to produce a configure script.

AC_PREREQ(2.57)
AC_INIT(FULL-PACKAGE-NAME, VERSION, BUG-REPORT-ADDRESS)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE

AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([main.cpp])
AC_CONFIG_HEADER([config.h])

# Checks for programs.
AC_PROG_CXX

# Checks for libraries.

# Checks for header files.

# Checks for typedefs, structures, and compiler characteristics.

# Checks for library functions.

AC_CONFIG_FILES(Makefile)
AC_OUTPUT