Re: Why does 'configure' look for localhost-g++ ???

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Re: Why does 'configure' look for localhost-g++ ???
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:04:53 +0100

Robert Collins wrote:

> You're misusing the --host= flag for configure. See the manual, or even
> configure --help.
>
> Rob

Thanks for the reply, but it does not solve the problem. I have tried
--host=sun4, --build=sun4 and both together. None solve the problem.

To quote from that manual:

"If you want to use a cross compiler, that generates code for a
platform different from the build platform, you should specify the
host platform (i.e., that on which the generated programs will
eventually be run) with `--host=type'. "

But I'm not doing that. I'm trying to run the script on the local
host, so I can't be cross-compiling. In fact, it works fine if I run
my script via ssh on a 32-bit Linux PC from a 64-bit Sun running
Solaris, but running it on the local host fails!!!!

Even ignoring my script, just attempting to execute a normal
'configure' script via ssh on the **localhost** will always fail. In
the following example I have an automake/autoconf generated configure
script in $HOME/atlc which runs fine if run in the conventional way.
But running via ssh on the local host gives problems.

sparrow /export/home/davek/atlc % ssh localhost atlc/configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/local/bin/install -c
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for g++... g++
checking for C++ compiler default output... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... configure: error: cannot
run C++ compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.

So lets try the --host=sun4, the output of which is below

sparrow /export/home/davek/atlc % ssh localhost 'atlc/configure
--host=sun4'
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use
--host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be
used.
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/local/bin/install -c
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for sun4-strip... no
checking for strip... strip
checking for sun4-g++... no
checking for sun4-c++... no
checking for sun4-gpp... no
checking for sun4-aCC... no
checking for sun4-CC... no
checking for sun4-cxx... no
checking for sun4-cc++... no
checking for sun4-cl... no
checking for sun4-FCC... no
checking for sun4-KCC... no
checking for sun4-RCC... no
checking for sun4-xlC_r... no
checking for sun4-xlC... no
checking for g++... g++
checking for C++ compiler default output... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... yes
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking for sun4-gcc... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for library containing strerror... none required
checking for log in -lm... yes
checking for egrep... egrep
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... no
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking stdio.h usability... yes
checking stdio.h presence... yes
checking for stdio.h... yes
checking math.h usability... yes
checking math.h presence... yes
checking for math.h... yes
checking malloc.h usability... yes
checking malloc.h presence... yes
checking for malloc.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for strings.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdbool.h that conforms to C99... yes
checking for _Bool... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... unknown
configure: error: unknown endianness
presetting ac_cv_c_bigendian=no (or yes) will help

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Senior Research Fellow,