Re: Why does 'configure' look for localhost-g++ ???

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: Why does 'configure' look for localhost-g++ ???
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 06:59:49 -0400

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

But I'm not doing that. I'm trying to run the script on the local
host, so I can't be cross-compiling. In fact, it works fine if I run
my script via ssh on a 32-bit Linux PC from a 64-bit Sun running
Solaris, but running it on the local host fails!!!!

So don't use --host at all. The mere fact that you do indicates that you are cross-compiling. If I'm on host foo (and host meaning what is defined by config.guess and config.sub) and specify host bar then I'm cross-compiling binaries for use on host environment bar. If I'm on host foo and specify host foo then I'm cross-compiling binaries for use on host environment foo. Using --host is treated the same regardless of which host the binaries are for and the configuration process prepends the host name to the tool to build for host. I.E.: --host=foo uses foo-gcc and --host=bar uses bar-gcc.

Earnie.