Re: Why does 'configure' look for localhost-g++ ???

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Re: Why does 'configure' look for localhost-g++ ???
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 16:35:29 +0100

Tim Van Holder wrote:

> Well yes - that's to be expected.  In both cases, running fails,
> but in the second case the presence of --host (with whatever content)
> suggests to configure that cross-compilation is being done, so it
> doesn't consider a failed run a fatal problem.
> Most likely there is something in the environment that isn't getting
> set properly if you use ssh with a command (perhaps LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> or similar).
> Does it work if in a ssh-based shell? i.e.:
>
>   $ ssh localhost
>   ssh$ atlc/configure

That does work fine. If I ssh to to the local host, then
configure/make the software, it all goes okay.

If I then do (in this ssh shell)

ssh$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/local/lib:/opt/rvplayer5.0:/usr/local/lib/X11:/usr/local/X11R6.4/lib:/usr/ucblib:/usr/local/qt/lib

it prints the $LD_LIBRARY_PATH okay.

However, if I do this outside the ssh shell
sparrow /export/home/davek % ssh localhost 'echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH'
LD_LIBRARY_PATH: Undefined variable.
So one might suscpect that is the problem. But similar happens on
every machine I can test this on, all of which seem quite able to run
a script I send them to run. One is a Sun running Solaris (an older
version I might add), but others run OpenBSD, various linux's, NetBSD

I modified my simple program so it echos $LD_LIBRARY_PATH on the
remote machine. So a typical script (called remote-test.tiger) sent to
the remote host tiger looks like this:

#! /bin/sh
# Script created on sparrow at Fri Apr 18 15:32:02 BST 2003 using
'teston'
# to run on the remote host tiger
echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
cd /home/davek/tiger/
gzip -d /home/davek/tiger/atlc-4.3.0.tar.gz
tar xf /home/davek/tiger/atlc-4.3.0.tar
mkdir /home/davek/tiger/atlc-4.3.0-build
cd /home/davek/tiger/atlc-4.3.0-build
/home/davek/tiger/atlc-4.3.0/configure
time make

it then gets copied  to the remote host, and run via ssh
i.e

% ssh tiger  remote-test.tiger

This always produces no output from $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, on any machine.
A read of the man page of ssh shows it is supposed to set various
varible (DISPLAY, HOME,  LOGNAME etc), but the list does not included
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. However, apparently that can be set in the file
.ssh/enviroment, although I had no luck doing that.

So I'm not quite sure what to make of it all.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Senior Research Fellow,