automake and libtool error

From: Paul F. Kunz
Subject: automake and libtool error
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:34:00 -0700

   For a configue.in file that works with versions of the autotools
that come with Red Hat Linux 7.x, I get the following error for the
versions that come with Red Hat Linux 8.0 and 9...

aclocal.m4:1575: required file `config/ltmain.sh' not found

After a Google search, the only solution I've found is to manually
create a link

ln -s /usr/share/libtool/ltmain.sh config/ltmain.sh

Is this indeed the solution?   Is this fixed with automake 1.7?   Any
other suggestions?