Re: automake -a behavior

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: automake -a behavior
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:37:29 +0200

[This mail apparently did not get out of my box so I'm sending it again.
Sorry if it's a duplicate.]

>>> "Sander" == Sander Niemeijer <address@hidden> writes:

 Sander> It seems that when automake is trying to find missing standard files
 Sander> (such as install-sh and depcomp) by running automake -a it will also
 Sander> look into parent directories ($(srcdir)/.. and $(srcdir)/../..)
 Sander> whether these standard files might not already be there (the check
 Sander> happens on the 'install-sh' file).

[...]

 Sander> I would therefore propose to either:
 Sander> - remove the searching into parent directories for standard files
 Sander> (although I admit I don't know what consequences this may have)
 Sander> - document this parent searching behavior in the documentation of
 Sander> automake

This was done in Automake 1.7.3.

 Sander> and provide an option to automake (in addition to -a
 Sander> and -c) that disables the parent dir searching (which,
 Sander> if used with the 'bar' package in the above example,
 Sander> would copy the standard files into foo/bar/ and thus
 Sander> properly include them into the 'bar' package.

You can add
  AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR(.)
to your configure.ac to that effect.

--