How port over package made with ancient Automake version??...and remove

From: cs
Subject: How port over package made with ancient Automake version??...and remove all errors?
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 14:31:40 -0700 (MST)

I just left a question about "make dist" not working
for a canned package. (It said distdir not defined.)

I tried doing aclocal;autoheader;automake;autoconf

and found lots more revealing error messages...

(*) It said to use AM_CONFIG_HEADER and not
    AC_CONFIG_HEADER.

(*) It said I need a new AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE since
    the one for this package uses an ancient Automake
    version.  (It said rerunning aclocal;automake would
    fix problem but it didn't.)

Are these familar problems when moving from old
Autotooled package to new one??/

Any help to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Chris