Re: Dynamic libtool library too small?

From: Dale E Martin
Subject: Re: Dynamic libtool library too small?
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 05:05:25 -0400

> I used to create them as .so libs and that gave me very big files. Now I
> can observe that it generates a lot of .lo files and a .la file. But
> this file is quite small (about 718 Kb)... is it OK?... Everything seems
> to go smooth during building and I get no errors or warnings. Can you
> explain it please?.

The .la file is a text file that "wraps" the real .so and .a files with
dependency info and some other info - look at the .la file with "less".
The real files are in a subdir called ".libs" until you do a "make
install".  (Or more specifically, a "libtool install <lib> <libdir>" which
is what "make install" does.)  At that point then the .la file, the .so
file (and symlinks), and the .a file will all get installed in $(libdir)
and things will look like you're used to seeing them.

Take care,
     Dale
--
Dale E. Martin, Clifton Labs, Inc.