Re: readme-alpha option and .90 pretests

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: readme-alpha option and .90 pretests
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 19:15:52 +0200

[Moved from address@hidden

>>> "Karl" == Karl Berry <address@hidden> writes:

 Karl> Hello Alexandre and all,
 Karl> rms has decreed that pretest version numbers, say for a
 Karl> forthcoming version 4.6, should have the form 4.5.90, or
 Karl> the form 4.6.YYYYMMDD.  See the Test Releases node of
 Karl> maintain.texi.

 Karl> So, for automake's purposes, I suggest that the
 Karl> readme-alpha option only consider the release an "alpha"
 Karl> release if the tertiary version is >90, not simply if it
 Karl> exists.

Hi Karl, sorry for the delay.

The numbering scheme described in the documentation for the
readme-alpha option (which is also enabled by the gnits option)
comes from the Gnits standards.

Maybe we should have a way to tell Automake about the version
numbering scheme used by a package?

 Karl> Did anyone ever make a test release with a version number like 4.5.1?

Coreutils.

[...]

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz