Re: Is a ChangeLog file realistic if /lots/ of developers adding /lots/

From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
Subject: Re: Is a ChangeLog file realistic if /lots/ of developers adding /lots/ of changes?
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:50:37 +0200 (CEST)

Changelogs are *not* a lot of work: they *save* a lot of work!

Just my personal opinion, of course, but this is how *I* work:
1. make changes
2. diff with current CVS > patch
3. read patch and write the changelog for the patch
4. attach patch to the changelog and save it in my personal patch archive
5. check in changes and use changelog as CVS log message

This way:
1. I have a changelog
2. I get to see my changes again, and fix bugs before I check them in
   (you'd be surprised how many bugs you'll kill in their infancy like
   this)

I've taken up this way of working after spending much too much time
hunting down bugs that should never have been checked in in the first
place. It works! I now have time for coffee again!

I also run the testsuite of the project each time before I check in
major changes or before I set a release tag, to make sure there are no
regressions; and I make a new test for every bug I find to make sure it
won't be revived. It may seem like extra work, but it really isn't!

rlc