Re: icc dependency generation

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: icc dependency generation
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:28:33 +0200

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 11:23:04AM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Intel compiler icc version 7.1 handles the -MF option inconsistently.
> Documentation states that it has to be used together with -M or -MM.
> If used with -MD, for example, it will replace the file ending with .d:
[...]
> Subsequently, the depcomp 'icc' mode will not be detected correctly
> during the ./configure run, since it uses '-MD -MF'.

This sucks.  If -MF cannot work with -MD, depcomp will have to call icc
twice: one time to get dependency information, and another time to do
the actual compilation.  This will be slower.

Or we could use -MD alone, but as ICC does respect subdirectories (at
least with ICC 7.0, compiling foo/bar.c with -MD would create ./bar.d
instead of foo/bar.d -- could you check this with 7.1?) we'd need to
implement some locking scheme in depcomp so that compiling foo/bar.c
and baz/bar.c in parallel do not write the same bar.d.

> Any suggestions?

Complain to Intel, if not already done.

>Which compiler version is the current depcomp supposed
> to work with?

7.0