Re: INSTALL_SCRIPT

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: INSTALL_SCRIPT
Date: 15 Jul 2003 08:57:03 +0200

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 08:25, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:
> Hi Ralf,

> [...]
>
>  Ralf> Is this behavior intentional? At least to me, this behavior seems
>  Ralf> inconsistent (I don't understand why automake wants to set permissions
>  Ralf> on _DATA and not on _SCRIPTS.)
>
> Because the default mode for install is 755.

Ouch! I had missed that :(

>   On which platform
> do you see this?
I'll have to investigate. I had received a user PR on a package I am
maintaining, complaining a script wasn't installed with 755-permissions.

Up to now, I only had noticed that -m755 is not used in automake 's
INSTALL_SCRIPT-variable but had missed that -m755 is the default to
install.

> Adding -m 755 to INSTALL_SCRIPTS seems harmless, but if some
> install does not default to 755 somewhere, shouldn't we do
> something similar for programs?
If some install doesn't default to -m755, then probably yes.

I'll try to contact the original reporter, but currently would assume
this to be a local bug in the package or a miss-understanding by the
original reporter.

Thanks,