Getting rid of autogenerated dirs

From: Nicholas Wourms
Subject: Getting rid of autogenerated dirs
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:21:27 -0400

Hi,

During the course of a regular build, I have a program execute which creates a dir to store output files in. I'd like to be able to add a rule to distclean, without having to manually edit Makefile.in. I got the impression, from the documentation, that one could overload the distclean target. So I whipped up a quick rule for distclean-local and did this in my Makefile.am (foo is the generated directory):

distclean-local:
     rm -fr foo

distclean: distclean-local

If this isn't the right way, does anyone have a suggestion on how I might do this? I'd like to be able to have the directory removed when users type `make distclean`, rather then `make distclean-local`. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Nicholas