Re: building a _shared_ library from sources in different directories

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: building a _shared_ library from sources in different directories
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:33:35 +0200

>>> "Giannis" == Giannis Georgalis <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Giannis> It was trying to link the "final" library against the
 Giannis> "noinst_" libraries. :-(

I don't know if that means you finally fixed it, or if this is
the start of a problem report.  In the latter case there is not
much I can say.  Please see

 Giannis> Additionally, even though it isn't as important for me as the
 Giannis> previous question; Is it possible to make object files being created
 Giannis> in the Obj subdirectory ? -> Note that my makefiles reside in the
 Giannis> module1, module2, module3, module4, program1 and program2
 Giannis> subdirectories.

 >> See the subdir-objects options.
[...]
 Giannis> but subdir-objects has as an effect to place the
 Giannis> objects in the same directory as the sources, and it
 Giannis> does not take an argument (does it ?).

Sorry, I misread your question: subdir-objects is clearly not
the answer.

To create all objects files into the Obj subdirectory, you can
build your project as follows

  mkdir Obj
  cd Obj
  ../configure
  make

This setup (known as VPATH build) is fairly standard and allows
your user to choose where things should be built.  For instance
(s)he can build for several architectures in parallel this way.

Another way to for Automake to put all built files in one
directory, is the put a Makefile.am in that directory and build
everything from there.  POSE, the PalmOS Emulator, use such a
setup (at least that was the case two years ago when I last
built it).
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz